EntertainmentFillaShowbiz News

Afia Schwarzenegger jubilates after coronavirus hit Ghana

ghanaweb.com

Absolutely a bizarre behavior, critics have said, as comedienne Afia Schwarzenegger recorded a video of herself jubilating over news that Ghana had confirmed cases of coronavirus.

In the said footage, the showbiz personality, who many expected would have used her platform to educate her followers about some preventive measures they should observe, was captured making mockery of residents of Kumasi as she mentioned that Accra had beaten the Ashanti regional capital to it – having been the first city to record infections.

The comedienne, looking sporty, was full of excitement in her delivery. She announced her intention to leave the nation’s capital to Sunyani for fear of becoming a victim. That statement, however, was followed by a doom remark.

“Shame on you, Kumasi folks. You were craving to have the first case of coronavirus but Accra has surpassed you,” she teased. “I’m heading to Sunyani; by the time the virus gets to that end, all of you would have died.”

The video clip was recorded and made public after Ghana recorded its first two cases.

On Sunday, four more cases were confirmed, making a total of 6 cases so far. The development was announced by Director of Public Health at Ghana Health Service, Dr. Badu Sarkodie during a press briefing on the current status of the country at the Information Ministry.

According to him, 2 more cases, after Thursday’s, were confirmed on Friday March 13, 2020 – one from the Ashanti Region and the other from the Greater Accra Region.

“The first is a 56-year-old Ghanaian who returned from a trip in the United Kingdom on the 4th of March. He stayed in the UK for 10 days. He developed symptoms on the 12th of March and reported to a health facility in Obuasi,” said Dr. Sarkodie.

Samples, according to Badu Sarkodie, were taken from him and taken to the Kumasi Center for collaborative Research and the results returned positive.

The second, he noted, is a woman, and a student. She travelled to the United States of America, stayed there for about 10 days and returned to Ghana on the 10th of March. On the 13th of March, she started showing symptoms that later were confirmed to be compatible with the suspected case of COVID-19. Samples were taken, taken to Noguchi Memorial Medical Research Institute and emerged positive.

The fifth and sixth cases were recorded on Saturday, late in the afternoon, from the Noguchi Memorial Medical Research. According to Dr. Sarkodie, the first is a 42-year-old Ghanaian male who returned to Ghana on the 8th of March. He had travelled to Switzerland and UK in the past 14 days. Symptoms started on the 9th of March and he reported to the health facility on the 14. After samples were tested, it was confirmed positive.

The second case in this batch was a 41-year-old Ghanaian male. He reported to the Tema General Hospital on the 14th of March with fever and acute respiratory illness. He had travelled to Turkey and Germany within the past 14 days. Results from Noguchi came back positive.

Both cases had no symptoms on arrival.

Dr. Badu however assured that all four cases are stable and under observation. They are receiving treatment under isolation conditions.

Meanwhile, President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, as part of measures to prevent the virus from spreading, has directed the management of schools in the country to shut down effective Monday, March 16, 2020, until further notice.

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close